BSEE works to promote safety, protect the environment, and conserve resources offshore through vigorous regulatory oversight and enforcement.
BSEE Office of Congressional Affairs
As BSEE's primary point of contact with Congress, OCA is responsible for the coordination of all bureau communication, outreach, and effective exchange of information with congressional offices, and serves as the liaison with Congress, the Department of the Interior, and other Federal executive agencies on all congressional activities and legislative proposals that affect BSEE.
OCA activities include the evaluation of legislative proposals, official communication regarding programs, policies and positions on matters under consideration by the Congress, the preparation and coordination of testimony for BSEE and Department witnesses, and the coordination of BSEE's involvement in congressional meetings and hearings.
BSEE Office of Public Affairs
The Office of Public Affairs coordinates the public affairs activities of all of the bureau's components and offices.
The Office of Public Affairs is the primary point of contact for news media, organizations and the public seeking information about the Bureau of Safety and Environmental Enforcement's programs, policies, procedures and services. BSEE OPA assists the director and senior staff on all public affairs, as well as strategic and internal communications matters. They also serve as a liaison with the Department of the Interior, other federal agencies, state and local governments and other organizations concerning public information matters.
Primary responsibilities include:
- preparing speeches for the Director and senior managers;
- serving as the principal news media gateway for official Bureau announcements, press releases, news briefs, statements, biographies of principal officers, and other documents of public interest;
- coordinating the Bureau's external message for offshore emergency response, safety and enforcement activities;
- serving as the Bureau-wide point of contact for the planning, development, and review of all Bureau print, web, display, audiovisual and broadcast products intended for the public;
- establishing and maintaining close working relationships with a broad range of public and private sector organizations; and
- managing the bureau's web content, including content on bsee.gov and in social media.
BSEE Investigations and Review Unit
Represents the Director investigating and reviewing reports of problems or potential problems with offshore activity on America's Outer Continental Shelf.
BSEE Office of Budget
Manages the organizational budgets for BSEE. This includes all operations, management and personnel costs for the headquarters and four locations.
BSEE Office of Policy Analysis
OPAA provides independent review and analysis of BSEE program and management issues. They lead, coordinate, and monitor initiatives, assuring a consistent, BSEE-wide implementation that directly supports Congressional, Presidential and Departmental directives, laws, mandates and guidance. OPAA also assures implementation of recommendations made by oversight groups such as the Government Accountability Office and the Office of Inspector General.
Office of International Programs
Supporting BSEE and the Bureau of Ocean Energy Management (BOEM), OIP actively identifies and participates in international cooperation that mutually promotes better safety and environmental decisions in offshore resource decisions. They focus on:
- oil and gas and renewable resource management;
- monitoring, developing, and refining safety and environmental standards;
- technical and information exchanges with our international regulatory counterparts;
- providing technical advice to the U.S. Department of State, other U.S. agencies and developing countries.