Skip to main content

File a Complaint

File a Complaint

The BSEE EEOD is responsible for providing equal employment opportunity (EEO) complaint processing services for the Bureau of Safety and Environmental Enforcement (BSEE) The complaint process includes confidential counseling, mediation, and investigation.

Any BSEE employee, former employee, or applicant for employment who believes they were subject to employment discrimination based on race, color, religion, sex (including gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, and pregnancy), national origin, age (40 or over), disability, genetic information, and/or reprisal for protected EEO activity may file an equal employment opportunity (EEO) complaint.

If you wish to initiate a complaint of discrimination though the EEO complaint process, you must contact the BSEE EEOD and indicate your intent to enter this process within 45 calendar days of the date of the incident that gave rise to your complaint or, if it's a personnel action, within 45 calendar days of its effective date. Once you have initiated this process, an EEO Counselor will be assigned to your case. The EEO Counselor is a neutral party and is not an advocate for you nor management. The goal of the EEO Counselor is to facilitate an informal resolution of the matter between the parties when possible.

The role of the EEO Counselor is to:

  • Explain the EEO complaint process to you and advise you, in writing, of your rights and responsibilities;
  • Listen and help you specifically identify your claims of employment discrimination;
  • Inform you about Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR);
  • Conduct a limited inquiry into your allegations;
  • Discuss your concerns with an appropriate official who has authority to resolve your allegations; and
  • Attempt to resolve your concerns informally.

Your EEO Counselor has 30 calendar days from when you report your allegation to attempt an informal resolution of the matter. The 30-day period for EEO counseling may be extended up to an additional 60 calendar days if you agree, in writing, to such as extension.

You may contact the BSEE EEOD by email at

 Alternate Dispute Resolution (ADR)

Alternative Dispute Resolution, or ADR, is a process used by the BSEE EEOD to help employees resolve workplace disputes in an informal setting. ADR helps avoid the cost, delay, and unpredictability of more formal dispute processes like litigation, hearings, and appeals, which can take years to reach a decision.

The BSEE EEOD has selected mediation as the preferred ADR method for resolving workplace disputes. Through mediation, a neutral, impartial third-party mediator assists the people involved in the disagreement with voluntarily reaching a resolution acceptable to all. Mediators facilitate the process — they do not have the authority to make final decisions or rulings on a dispute.

For more information, please visit the United States Equal Employment Opportunity Commission’s webpage on Federal Sector Alternative Dispute Resolution by clicking here.