- Environmental ComplianceEnsure operators and leasees, subject to BSEE jurisdiction, comply with all required environmental laws, regulations and standards.
- Safety EnforcementBSEE promotes compliance with safety and environmental standards through regular inspections and other monitoring activities
- Renewable EnergyBSEE leads the development of workplace safety and environmental compliance strategies for offshore renewable energy projects on the Federal OCS.
- Oil Spill Response ResearchOil spill response equipment testing at the Ohmsett facility. This photo depicts the Ohmsett staff measuring the oil recovery rate for an oleophilic drum skimmer when placed in a 1/2 inch thick oil slick on the water.
- OCS ProductionBSEE's responsibilities include assessments of emerging or improved technologies, inspection and regulation of offshore facilities, and collaboration with industry to improve oil and gas recovery and ensure accurate production measurement.
- Safety AlertsInform the offshore energy industry of an incident or a near miss with recommendations to prevent recurrence.
- Draft Request For Proposal (RFP) & Industry Day EventThis is a request for information/market research to provide data for planning purposes ONLY. This Draft RFP DOES NOT constitute a request for proposal, request for quote, invitation for bid, nor does its issuance in any way restrict the Government as to its ultimate acquisition approach.
Offshore Maps, Stats and Facts
Get technical information about offshore activities
Bureau of Safety and Environmental Enforcement
Regulating the Offshore Energy Industry by
Promoting Safety, Protecting the Environment and Conserving Resources
We ensure that offshore energy operations comply with applicable environmental regulations
We develop and enforce standards and regulations to enhance operational safety and environmental protection
Working to refine regulations while maintaining safety
From the Newsroom
May 25th, 2022
GALVESTON, Texas — In fulfillment of its critical role to monitor and assess the preparedness of offshore oil spill response personnel and equipment, on May 18 the Bureau of Safety...
May 13th, 2022
INGLESIDE, Texas – On May 12, Bureau of Safety and Environmental Enforcement inspectors and engineers concluded a three-day pre-production inspection on Vito, Shell’s new 40,000-ton...